Monday, June 20, 2011

Boorish behavior

(royalty free clip art image)



I dreamed last night that I was sitting for a final exam and nervously awaiting the proctor's cue to turn my sheet over and begin. Imagine my delight when I read that the essay topic was on Fordian production and Neoliberal Economic Models. What luck! I'd just finished doing all the reading for my trip to Oaxaca and had brushed up on these very topics. With a flourish of my Waterman fountain pen, I wrote my name and began to outline my thoughts when the proctor said, "Time's up!" I protested and began to cry, but it was no use. I had to turn in a blank sheet of paper and failed the class.

Not that I'm anxious or anything. However, I will admit that I haven't done much heavy reading since I dropped out of grad school for the fifth, and probably final, time ten years ago. So Terence Turner's reference to "Foucauldian critiques of representation and subjectivity" -- not to mention his allusions to Durkheim and Hegel -- had me digging out my undergraduate sociology texts. (Okay, I admit it. I read passages aloud to my dinner guests last night and had them snorting food through their nostrils. I can be un poco cretino sometimes.) But, seriously, I'm enjoying the challenge of the reading and note-taking so much that I'm flirting with the idea of grad school -- yet again.

I'm still set on taking no hard copies of the articles and relying on my Kindle while I'm in Mexico. To that end, I've jotted a few notes in my journal that I hope will help me in class discussions so that I'm not frantically squinting at the teeny-weeny PDF texts every time I need to find some bit of info. Now I just have to decide what to do with all that extra room in my suitcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment