Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Food wasn't the only thing I loved about Oaxaca, but . . .






(I have to say that pictures taken with an iPod are not as good as a digital camera despite assertions to the contrary.)


On Thursday last week, I was lucky to be invited by KC to a Members Only event at the Museum of the American Indian. The topic was chocolate and its many manifestations in Mexican cuisine. In addition to a chocolate-infused tequila and white wine, the tastings included turkey with an almendrado mole, pork in a chocolate chili sauce, tamales with chicken and black mole, and some sublime desserts, my favorite being the flourless chocolate cake. This last was washed down with hot chocolate and chocolate egg creams. All of the food was prepared by Zarela Martinez, an authority on Mexican cooking and the stories behind the recipes. She owns a restaurant that was the best place to get authentic Mexican cooking in NYC.

I say "was" because yesterday I saw the news that Zarela's would be closing after 23 years. Sad news indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment