Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Where to eat in Oaxaca City

There won't be enough days in July to try all the food that's available to the traveler to Oaxaca, but I'm sure going to try. Last summer's visit helped me get oriented, but I'll need to make a serious plan of action if I intend to sample as much as possible. But the first thing I'm going to do after my plane lands and I take a collectivo to my room is to walk to Paseo Juarez El Llano to the Popeye's there and get a paleta:


Photo of a cajeta paleta (goat's milk & caramel) courtesy of goodiesfirst.com

Then I'd like to go to Marco Polo if it's still open for a seafood splurge. Since most Oaxacans eat their biggest meal before 5pm, they only open for breakfast and "lunch" and are closed by 6:30pm.

On my way back to my room, I'll have to stop by a tienda and get some cacahuates japones for snacking later. If you've never had these, they are highly addictive peanuts covered with a soy or chili flavored shell, salty and just a tad sweet.

The next morning, I'd like to revisit Cafeteria La Principal for a light breakfast of pan tostado con miele and some of their wonderful cafe. This tiny storefront shop had just opened last summer while I was in Oaxaca, and I'm happy to see the two sisters who own it have become quite popular. They make yummy sandwiches that will be perfect for days when the NEH group is on the road and I need food to go.





I expect many of my colleagues who are traveling down with the NEH have favorites and recommendations of their own which they'll share. In the meantime, if you haven't been to Oaxaca or just want a little tease of what you're looking forward to foodwise, Eat Your World -- Oaxaca has a brief illustrated explanation of some typical Oaxacan foods. The blog Goodies First has a nice post on Oaxacan market food.


And there's a wonderful Flickr group of photos that will get your mouth watering (check out the link as there are pages and pages of images):

Ensaladas (La Biznaga)EntradasLa BiznagaHosteria de AlcalaHuevos en SalsaHosteria
Chicken and grapefruittasajomorongobuffetcomalamezcal treasure hunt
Where to eat in Oaxaca City Mosaicwhere everybody knows your nameComalaComalaBrujulaTlayuda
Stone SoupHeating the StonesCafe Los CuilesTio GueroMenu EspecialColibri



No comments:

Post a Comment